Parks & Recreation
The Parks & Recreation Department stayed busy in FY2021 despite the ongoing challenges created by the COVID-19 pandemic. The department provided quality recreational opportunities for the City of Bryan’s residents, businesses and visitors of all ages, including events, programs, parks and facilities. In FY2021, the Parks & Recreation Department:
- Completed the City Hall elevator renovation project.
- Brought 100 percent of all park system facilities damaged during the winter storm back online.
- Completed new interior construction, mechanical/electrical/plumbing, and porch awning for the new Tire & DIY Oil Recycling Center.
- Initiated a $1.5 million renovation and facility upgrade to the Phillips Event Center.
- Contracted with EPMC, LLC, for operations and management of the Palace and Queen Theaters.
- Completed the construction of Edgewater Park.
- Renovated three baseball/softball fields at the Travis Fields at Midtown Park.
- Secured management agreements with RCI (D-BAT) for operations at the Travis Athletic Fields.
- Secured management agreements with SFM for the operations of the Legends Event Center.
- Held the groundbreaking event for construction of the Legends Event Center.
- Completed the installation of a bridge at Camelot Park.
- Removed old playground equipment and installed new playground equipment at Sadie Thomas Park.
- Completed multiple cosmetic and material upgrades throughout the parks system utilizing Parks Improvement Plan funding.
- Established an Oakwood Cemetery Clean-up Day.
- Completed greens sprigging project on all 18 greens and two practice greens at City Course at Phillips Event Center.
- Removed and replaced the #18 bridge at the City Course at the Phillips Event Center.
- Offered new recreation, athletic and event programs, including:
- American Red Cross Babysitters Course
- License to Carry Course
- Lunch and Learn Series
- 3-on-3 Basketball Tournament
- Adult Sand Volleyball League
- Back to School Skate Jam
- Successfully hosted the Drive-In Movie event, with the largest participation since the inception of the program (93 vehicles with more than 400 people in attendance).
- Filled all 2021 summer camps with maximum enrollment.
- Partnered with GG Leagues to offer ESports tournaments throughout the year.
- Certified 65 new lifeguards for the summer aquatics season.
Events / Tourism
- Hosted the Southern Drag Boat Association’s season opener event at Lake Bryan.
- Hosted The Horseshoe Tour’s Bryan, TX Ringer Roundup at Sue Haswell Park.
- Hosted seven new softball tournaments at BRAC (Triple Crown, 5 Tool Softball (4), and Softball Factory Showcases (2))